news analysis advocacy
tips on searching

Search AfricaFocus and 9 Partner Sites



Visit the AfricaFocus
Country Pages

Burkina Faso
Cape Verde
Central Afr. Rep.
Congo (Brazzaville)
Congo (Kinshasa)
Côte d'Ivoire
Equatorial Guinea
São Tomé
Sierra Leone
South Africa
South Sudan
Western Sahara

Get AfricaFocus Bulletin by e-mail!

Print this page

Note: This document is from the archive of the Africa Policy E-Journal, published by the Africa Policy Information Center (APIC) from 1995 to 2001 and by Africa Action from 2001 to 2003. APIC was merged into Africa Action in 2001. Please note that many outdated links in this archived document may not work.

South Africa: Apartheid Debt & Reparations, 2 South Africa: Apartheid Debt & Reparations, 2
Date distributed (ymd): 021112
Document reposted by Africa Action

Africa Policy Electronic Distribution List: an information service provided by AFRICA ACTION (incorporating the Africa Policy Information Center, The Africa Fund, and the American Committee on Africa). Find more information for action for Africa at

+++++++++++++++++++++Document Profile+++++++++++++++++++++

Region: Southern Africa
Issue Areas: +economy/development+ +US policy focus+


A suit was filed today, November 12, in the New York Eastern District Court against 8 banks and 12 other companies in six Western countries for apartheid reparations, on behalf of the Khulumani Support Group and individual "victims of state-sanctioned torture, murder, rape, arbitrary detention, and inhumane treatment." This posting contains excerpts from the stories of individual plaintiffs who are parties to the case. Another posting distribued today contains a press release from the Apartheid Debt & Reparations Campaign, a statement from the law firm of Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld & Toll, a list of the companies that are the defendants, and a profile of the Khulumani Support Group.

For additional background from the Apartheid Debt & Reparations Campaign, see

+++++++++++++++++end profile++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apartheid Debt and Reparations Campaign

For comment in South Africa please contact:
South Africa: Neville Gabriel, Spokesperson: Jubilee SA, cell. +27 83 449 3934; Ntombi Mosikare, Secretary General: Khulumani Support Group, cell. +27 11 403 4098; Charles Abrahams, Legal Adviser: Jubilee SA, cell. +27 82 560 7152

Plaintiffs Stories [selected: additional stories can be found in the full text of the complaint, available, at:


Elizabeth Sefolo is the wife of Harold Sefolo, who was murdered by the South African Police. Harold Sefolo was abducted in June/July of 1986 along with Jackson Maake and Andrew Makupe. Sefolo was interrogated and tortured. A knife was forced in his nose to coerce him to provide information regarding the ANC. Sefolo begged for his life. The police then shocked Maake and Makupe to death before Sefolo. Shortly thereafter, Sefolo was shocked to death. The police then took the bodies to a minibus, which was then placed over a landmine, which was detonated. This was done to create the impression that they had blown themselves up. Ms. Sefolo learned of her husband's fate in a newspaper article in the City Press Sunday, 26/27 Jan/Feb 1996.

Elizabeth Maake is the mother of Jackson Maake, who was murdered by the South African Police. The SAP first abducted Maake, who was working for them as a spy in the ANC, and took him to a deserted property owned by the Pretoria Portland Cement Mine. He was accused of being a double agent, which he denied. He gave Makupe's name as his MK contact. Makupe was then abducted, followed by Sefolo. During the torture of Sefolo, Maake was shocked to death in front of Sefolo and Makupe. Ms. Maake did not learn of her son's fate until it was published in the City Press Sunday.

Ntombi Jane Mosikare is the sister of Solomon Ngungunyane Mahabane, who was murdered by the South African Police and Military. Solomon was a member of the Congress of South African Students (COSAS). He, along with other members of COSAS, were given boobytrapped hand grenades and asked to blow up a counselor's house. As soon as the pin was removed, the grenade exploded. This case is known as Zero Hand Grenade.

Nokitsikaye Violet Dakuse is the sister of Tozi Skweyiya who was murdered by the South African Police on March 2, 1985. He was playing with his friends at the corner of the street on which he lived. Six soldiers and police officers arrived and Tozi and his friends ran. Tozi entered the house of Zaphukibe Jacobs. The police followed and shot Tozi three times in front of Zaphukibe and his wife. The police and soldiers then brought Tozi's body out of the house, where they shot him further. A van arrived and took Tozi's body away. Ms. Dakuse and her mother were present when this happened and cried out to the police, who threatened to shoot them too. The following day, Ms. Dakuse and her mother went to the police station to recover the body. The body had been stripped of all clothing. No investigation or charges were ever brought against the perpetrators.

Archington Madondo is the father of Mandla Madondo, who was murdered by the South African Defence Force on July 10, 1986. Mr. Madondo had sent Mandla to buy some bread, when a casper with soldiers came down the street and began shooting at Mandla and his friends who were standing outside the shop. Mandla was just 16 years old when he died. His twin brother, Thomsanqa, was arrested shortly after Mandla's murder and imprisoned for one year without a trial.

Tshidiso Motasi is the son of John and Penelope Moloke, who were murdered in their beds by the South African Police. Tshidiso was only 5 years old at the time. Three men stormed into his home at 10pm and shot his father. His mother, who witnessed the slaying and saw the face of one of the killers, was brutally shot in order to keep safe the identity of the murders. The police did not detect Tshidiso. Not knowing what to do, Tshidiso spent the night alone, crying, with the bodies of his murdered parents. Neighbors, who heard his cry the following morning and came to investigate, found Tshidiso with his parents' bodies. John Miles chronicles Tshidiso's story in the book Deafening Silence.


Patricial M. Songo is the mother of Dipulo Songo, who was murdered during the Mamelodi Massacre on November 21, 1985. At age 16, Dipulo was a student. He was attending a gathering that was to present the then mayor with a memorandum concerning the high cost of rentals in Mamelodi. The South African Police and South African Defense Force opened fire into the crowd, shooting everyone, even those who ran away. No one has ever been prosecuted or called to account for the massacre.

Catherine Ngqulunga is the wife of Brian Ngqulunga, who was murdered by the South African Police on July 19, 1990. Brian had worked for the SAP, but had recently left his position and was in contact with the ANC. His former colleagues kidnapped him, then beat, stabbed and chopped his body to pieces.

Maria Sibaya is the mother of Jeffrey Sibaya who was murdered outside Mamelodi in July 1986. Jeffrey, 17 at the time of is death, was a member the ANC and the Congress of South African Students. The South African Police had an interest in Jeffrey and approached him about becoming an informant. After Jeffrey refusing to become an informant, the Police decided to kill Jeffrey. Joe Mamsela, a Police spy, lured Jeffrey to his death. Mamasela told Jeffrey and his friends, that Mamasela was going to take them to Botswana to join the ANC for military training. Instead Mr. Mamasela led them to their execution at Nietverdiend, a location five kilometers north of Piennar's River near the Botswana border. Jeffrey and his colleagues were interrogated, kicked, beaten, and strangled with wire. Members of the Security Branch murdered Jeffrey. To conceal the evidence, Jeffrey's body was blown up using a landmine.


Samuel Morudu's granddaughter, Sannah Letsie, was murdered in a firebomb attack in February 1987. Sannah P. Letsie, was born on December 19, 1974 at Hetzogville in the Orange Free State. In 1980, young Sannah came to Mamelodi to attend school. Sannah's uncle, Moss Morudu was a member of the Mamelodi Civic Association and was targeted by the Security Police. During the early morning hours of February 20, 1987, while Sannah was asleep, the house where she was staying was firebombed. Four bombs were thrown into the where Sannah slept with her four cousins. All the children suffered at least third degree burns. Sannah was rushed to Kalafong Hospital, but she could not be saved. Sannah died on February 25, 1987 from the burns she sustained.


Nomvula Eunice Kama is the sister of Mncedisi Dlokova who was murdered by the South African Security Police. On March 21, 1985, Mncedisi was shot while participating in a march held in Uitenhage. Ms. Kama and her family could not attend her brother's funeral under fear that they would lose their homes. Mncedisi's death certificate has yet to be given to the family.

Tshemi Makedama is the sister of Lugile Makedama, who was murdered in the De Aar Police Station in October 1985.

Nosipho Mavis is the sister of a person who disappeared in Craddock. The Police used to constantly harass the Mavis family while Nosipho's brother was alive. But the Police harassment stopped when her brother disappeared.


Zakharia Fikile Mamba, 35, was tortured repeatedly between June 26, 1986 and 1991. After joining the political struggle in December 1984, the security police began tracking Mr. Mamba. This forced Mr. Mamba into hiding until March 1986, when Mr. Mamba participated in protests to admit students into schools. After the protests, Mr. Mamba went back into hiding until June 26, 1986 when the police found him and took him to the Bothaville police station. There, Mr. Mamba was interrogated. Mr. Mamba was transferred to Wesselsbronx police station where his torture began. While Mr. Mamba was being interrogated two police officers handcuffed and repeatedly punched and kicked him. The police tortured Mr. Mama again three week later, handcuffing him and beating him. However, this time they placed a metal hat-like device on his head and electrocuted him. The security police also poured water on his head while he was being electrocuted. Mr. Mamba passed out but the beating continued. In addition to the torture, Mr. Mamba was not allowed to bath nor did he have tap water for approximately a month. On July 10, 1987, the security police released Mr. Mamba. But the torture did not stop. Twice a month, every month, through 1990, the security police snatched Mr. Mamba, took him to the Bothaville police station, and interrogated and tortured him. On January 5, 1990, at approximately two o'clock in the morning, the security police entered Mr. Mamba's home and took him to Kgotsong police station where they beat him, electrocuted him and tortured him for four hours. In September 1990, because of constant police harassment, Mr. Mamba went back into hiding. On New Year's Day 1991, the local police found Mr. Mamba and subsequently kicked and punched him. Mr. Mamba was hospitalized. On February 11, 1991, tired of the constant police harassment, Mr. Mamba decided to leave the country. However, the security police detained Mr. Mamba. They beat and tortured Mr. Mamba and again he was hospitalized.

Micheal Mbele, born on October 31, 1944 was politically active in a union as a shop steward and was also a UDF member. Because of Mr. Mbele's political activities the Special Security Police detained and tortured Mr. Mbele during 1986. For three straight days police beat and shocked Mr. Mbele with electric pipes, in addition to choking Mr. Mbele with a rubber tire. As a result of his torture Mr. Mbele lost his hearing. Mr. Mbele's suffering continued for eleven more months as Police placed him in solitary confinement. Mr. Mbele's torment continues today as depression and nightmares plague him.

Charles Hlatshwayo, a member of the ANC, was beaten and tortured by the Botswana police in 1990. A police informer, pretending to work for the ANC, lured Mr. Hlatshwayo and his colleagues into a police trap. The police then tortured Mr. Hlatshwayo. They handcuffed him, beat him unconscious, and poured cold water over him to revive him. Then the police inserted electric wires into Mr. Hlatshwayo penis and shocked him until he passed out. The police also choked Mr. Hlatshwayo with a rubber tube. The police tortured Mr. Hlatshwayo for three weeks, until he was placed in detention. Mr. Hlatshwayo urinated blood for six months following his torture. The electrical shock caused severe damage to Mr. Hlatshwayo's spine and vocal cords. He is now confined to a wheelchair and cannot talk.


Peggy Salumane was arrested and tortured at Protea Police station on September 27, 1982. Despite Peggy's pregnancy, the Police suffocated her with a plastic bag and handcuffed her during her detention. She was also sprayed with tear gas in addition to being beaten and kicked. Every day for five weeks, the Police tortured Peggy. As a result of the torture, Peggy not only developed asthma but also had a miscarriage. Peggy torment continues because of her nightmares and distorted vision. Peggy's uterus also had to be removed because of the torture.



Thandiwe Shezi was tortured and raped by the Security Police beginning in 1988. On September 8th of that year, police stormed into Ms. Shezi's home, and beat and strangled her in front of her daughter. They then took Ms. Shezi to the Alexander Police station where the torture began. She was handcuffed and a wet sack was tied over her head. She was then taken to a room where she was electrocuted for twenty minutes. Next she was raped repeatedly by four police officers. In addition to physical torture, the Police also worked on Ms. Shezi psychologically. The Police forced Ms. Shezi to watch as they smashed another prisoner's penis in a drawer. When the prisoner screamed out in pain they wanted Ms. Shezi to laugh. On one occasion, the Police took Ms. Shezi outside, stripped her naked and tied her to a tree. They smeared her legs with butter, opened them wide, and threw ants all over her. The ants crawled into her vagina. On at least one occasion, while Ms. Shezi was being electrocuted was mixed with acid was poured over her head. Because of the torture, Ms. Shezi could not eat solid food for almost a month. Ms. Shezi has lost all interest for sexual intercourse. And still suffers from nightmares, a sore vagina, and trauma.


Thabiso Samuel Motsie was detained on December 23, 1986 under the State of Emergency. During his imprisonment, the Police tortured him. He was beaten, kicked, assaulted and harassed. After three weeks at the Bothaville Police station, he was transferred to Kroonstad Prison, where his torturing continued. Motsie was released on April 27, 1987, however, the police continued to harass and assault Motsie. Motsie received no medical treatment for his wounds while in prison. Lesiba Kekana, was unlawfully arrested and detained without trial from June 1986 to February 1987. Because of his detention, Mr. Kekana lost his job as a school teacher. On June 23, 1986 Mr. Kekana was detained under the State of Emergency, which allowed for detention without trial. During his detention he was tortured. Mr. Kekana was released in February 1987. Mr. Kekana's detention delayed his studies for a year and now he cannot get a job with the Department of Education.


Motlaletsatsi Molatedi was detained in June 1986 under the State of Emergency. During her imprisonment, the Police tortured and interrogated Motlaletsatsi. Motlaletsatsi spent a total of nine months between Allanridge Police Station and Kroonstad Prison. Because of the torture suffered during her detention, Motlaletsatsi now has difficulty hearing, bleeding from the nose, and other bodily illnesses. Motlasletsatsi also has mental depression as a result of her treatment during her detention.

Simon Molotsi was detained on June 12, 1986 under the State of Emergency. During his detention, Simon was assaulted and electrically shocked. On August 29, 1986, Simon was transferred to Kroonstad Prison, where the torture continued. The Police handcuffed him and poured ten liters of water around his body. Simon was released in 1987. Despite his release, the Police still harass Simon by performing random searches of his home.

Robert Makana was detained in September 1986 under the State of Emergency. During his detention he was beaten and tortured. After spending three months at St. Albans Prison, Mr. Markana was transferred to Steyn Prison. He was released in May 1987. Mr. Markana was also detained in July 1985 for one month. Because of his imprisonment, Mr. Markana lost his job.


Azariel Molebeleli was first detained in 1985 after the riots at the Mophate Secondary School. The Security Police went Azariel's home a two o'clock in the morning and sent him to Klenksdorp prison. He was detained there for seven days. After his release, Azariel returned to school. Soon after he returned, Azariel was expelled from school. He was detained again in June 1986 under the State of Emergency. He was sent to Wesselsbrook Police station for a month, then transferred to Kroonstad prison where he spent a year. In 1991, Azariel decided to leave the country and go to Botswana. Unfortunately, he was caught by the Security Police and imprisoned at Mega City Police Station, where he was tortured. Two weeks later he was transferred to Virgina Police station. He remained at Virgina Police Station for only seven days, until he was released.

Moses Hlongwane was detained under the State of Emergency on June 17, 1986. His studies were disrupted until May 13, 1987, when he was released. In August 1990, Moses was detained by the Bophuthatswana Defence Force when he was trying to flee to Botswana. He spent two weeks at Matikeng Police Station under hard conditions. He was then sent to Virginia Police Station where he was tortured for one week and released. Even after his release, the police continue to harass Moses.

This material is being reposted for wider distribution by Africa Action (incorporating the Africa Policy Information Center, The Africa Fund, and the American Committee on Africa). Africa Action's information services provide accessible information and analysis in order to promote U.S. and international policies toward Africa that advance economic, political and social justice and the full spectrum of human rights.

URL for this file: